A lot of musicians copy each other and most copy the mistakes with it. Below we will list the top 5 mistakes that we see musicians making with their music career. If you want to build your brand fast and efficiently AVOID THEM!
The Shotgun Approach: This is how 90% of indie artists operate. They release music daily, weekly, monthly without any plan, strategy or anything that will measure their success. If you think that your music alone will make you famous, you are wrong. Less then 1% of musicians will go viral and “GET LUCKY” We suggest to never put your eggs in that basket. You want to make sure you have you have a solid plan. You don’t want to release music aimlessly. Always keep in mind that success leaves trails. We have spent 10 years working with major labels. Keep these notes in mind when moving forward!
- Brand your social media geared towards your new single
- create clarity based around 1 single.
- Stick to one single for 2-5 months at a time before switching
- Promote and market your brand geared around the single
- lyric video release before the official music video
Social Media Strategy:
A few mistakes that we see is when artists don’t post enough. It’s very important that you post on social media daily. Posting 1 time per day is just not enough! If you want to build a brand, you need to cut through the noise and create attention at all times. You should be posting 5-7 times per day. Most will post once in awhile. You won’t get lucky, you need a plan! you need a strategy. You can’t just post to post. You want to master your brand and learn to generate high quality content. Post Videos, images, Gifs, Memes are all good to incorporate in your social media strategy. Keep these notes in mind moving forward:
- Don’t have your accounts linked. Generate custom content on each social media channel. If you post the same content on instagram that you do on twitter, why would anyone follow you on both? Create custom content daily.
- Post 5-7 times a day. Your in the music business. act like it
- base your content around the project that you are promoting
- create clarity. Have a clear brand message. Avoid confusion
- keep in mind that video, gifs and visuals create 50% more click through ratio
This is the biggest thing we see that most do not utilize correctly. Transparency is showing people who you are. The REAL you. Most artists will hide behind their music. You must understand how the music business works! If you are truly want to become a well known brand, you must understand transparency.
Show yourself in all forms to the general public and this will build your brand the fastest. Some people will love you and some will hate you but if you are YOU then this will weed through the negatives much quicker. Notes to remember
- Post interviews
- behind the scenes
- selfies of yourself
- always show your face and never hide behind your content
- give back to your fans and followers. serve them and show them your appreciation